Pages

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Counting down the days

I managed to survive the most stressful month of my life and now just have to go to a different continent and find a place to live. I'm actually really excited and have been spending far too much time looking up stuff to do while there. I still have a paper to write before I leave Wednesday and I have to move out of my apartment, so my summer vacation is looking to be quite short. I leave here on June 15 and arrive in Johannesburg on June 17. Yeah, I basically lose 2 days (although I do have a lengthy layover in London). Here are some things I plan on doing or that I've been advised to do while in the southern hemisphere:

[Updated post-trip]

Pet a lion cub! (No surprises here)
See Victoria Falls
Visit Soweto: "Southwest Townships" where "colored" people mainly lived during apartheid. Nelson Mandela's former house and the Apartheid Museum are here.
Cape Town
The Wild Coast
Go on safari
Partake of a braai: Southern African BBQ
Watch a rugby game
Have my DNA mapped: Apparently I can do this at the university where I'll be working
Visit the Cradle of Humankind
Visit all of the soccer stadia* that were in the World Cup
Swim with great white sharks

*Oh yes, I did.

1 comment:

  1. DO NOT SWIM WITH GREAT WHITE SHARKS. Are you forgetting about my dream where you were eaten? I don't want it to come true.

    Actually, I'll allow it...as long as you're encased in some heavy duty steel bars.

    ReplyDelete